Join Our Team
Talley Vineyards currently has job openings for the following positions listed below.
If we do not have a specific position you are looking for open currently, please feel free to forward your resume to us for any future jobs at Human Resources
Vineyard and Orchard Manager
Opportunity to lead the permanent crops department for a legacy San Luis Obispo Coastal farming and winery operation. Talley Farms is committed to a vision to strive for Excellence in Everything we do while Talley Vineyards’ mission to make and share inspiring wines and experiences that capture the special character of the region. The Vineyard and Orchard Manager’s responsibilities are split between all Talley Farms permanent crops with about 50% of the time spent in the vineyards and 50% of the time spent between the lemon and avocado orchards. The Vineyard and Orchard Manager reports to Brian Talley.
- Ensure long term supply of high quality estate grown grapes at a cost that ensures adequate profit margin.
- Execute sustainable vineyard practices compliant with SIP certification standards.
- Implement orchard practices consistent with certified organic standards (lemons) and environmental and economic sustainability (avocados).
- Ensure a safe work environment.
The key people who report to the Vineyard and Orchard Manager are: the Vineyard Foreman, the Vineyard Tractor Foreman, the Orchard Foreman, and the Orchard and Vineyard Irrigators.
Key Skill Sets/Experience/Qualifications
- At least 5 years of viticultural experience with 3 years in a management role.
- Understanding of budget management and cost containment in farming operations.
- Mechanical aptitude with general understanding of tractors, pumps, hydraulic systems, and irrigation systems.
- Ability to identify potential problems, make decisions and recommend viable solutions.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Bilingual language skills and cultural sensitivity are critical.
- General management experience with some management training is desirable.
- A Bachelor's Degree is required.
- PCA license recommended.
- Excellent technical skills in the Microsoft Office suite and generally high comfort level with voicemail, email communication systems. Ability to adopt new technologies as they emerge.
This is a full-time position. The work environment has about an equal mix of office and field time. Some late nights/early mornings (harvest, frost protection, spray supervision) are required. Some travel is required.
Full health benefits, 401(k), PTO and an allocation of complimentary wine.
Competitive and commensurate with experience.